Friday, August 24, 2007

Yellow Belt

After two months of classes twice a week, plus at home practice, yesterday M took part in his highly anticipated Yellow Belt test for his karate class. He is a well behaved student in class so, thus far has avoided extra sets of sit-ups and/or push ups. M has also enjoyed practicing at home without being reminded. He was very excited to take the test and be able to move up to the next level.

After the class finished testing Instructor G. had a little ceremony during which M received a certificate of rank for completing the White Belt 9th rank. After being presented with the certificate Instructor G. took M's white belt, matched it up with the crisp new yellow belt and snapped them together signifying "the transfer of knowledge" from the old belt to the new belt. Instructor G. then presented M with the new yellow belt by tying it around M's uniform in place of the old white belt.



This was a very special accomplishment for M and Big J and Z are so-o happy for him! It's a good thing Z was behind the camera the whole time snapping pictures or else someone might have noticed what a BIG softy she is as the tears trickled down her face.

6 comments:

Montserrat said...

Congrats M!!! My mom wouldn't let me take any karate classes. Of course, as soon as I moved away she let my younger siblings take tae-kwon-do and they are all certified third degree black belts.

Bonster said...

Great job M!!! That is so cool!

EstesSBTAK said...

Way to go M!!! Keep up the great work. Z.. thanks for the fun updates. It is always fun to see the great things your famiy is up to. Can't wait for the next post! :-)

Leah said...

So cute! The boys are so big! It doesn't seem like that long ago that we were babysitting little M. Time flies!

Natalie said...

Congrats M ~ What a great achievement... and Z - It is good to be a softy, that is what makes moms so special!

zippy said...

Montse--Watching M in his class, I've gotten an itch to start up karate myself...do you think that maybe now your mom would let you take a class too if you asked her very nicely? : ) M's instructor is also a third degree black, he started taking karate when he was 6 years old just like M. I think this has inspired M a bit because he says that his goal now is to become a fifth degree black belt...time will tell.

Bonster and Brandi--Thanks for checking in our little blog--it's such a fun way to k.i.t. I'm glad you both have started blogs of your own!

Leah--I know the feeling! I always ask M, "Who gave you permission to get so big? I know it wasn't me!!" As much as it warms the heart to watch my little ones grow, progress, and succeed in life, sometimes as a mom I just wish they would stay little for a bit longer!

Lallie--Good to know it's safe for me to be a total softy around you! Btw--I think you're such a FUN, FUN, FUN, mom--your kids are so lucky to have you!