a. a finger print
black on white, or white on black?
I learned a lot about "perspective" this last month...it's all about how you look at things and what you do with the information you have. The biggest lessons on "perspective" I learned were about having, and keeping, the correct perspective on life.
While I was down for a week fighting off the flu and strep, I was reminded that not only do you not miss your health until it's gone, but..."if you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything." It didn't matter that the clean laundry I had done before I got sick was still sitting unfolded in it's usual staging area--the family room couch--all that mattered was that everyone had clean clothes to wear. Also, even though I was being highly emotional and unreasonable (thanks to pregnancy hormones + a fever + little sleep), my family and friends still loved me and forgave me. To all those that helped out in so-o many ways while I was sick: THANK YOU!!
Once I was healthy, I was again reminded of another perspective to keep in mind. Here is the story that goes with it:
Our boys (J-rod included) have been after me to give-up my "no video gaming system" stance so that they can get a Wii. M especially has come up with a hundred and one reasons as to why we really should get one. So...J-rod struck a "deal" with the family. He "challenged" us to have each member of the family (minus Li'l J, since he's not reading on his own yet) to start the Book of Mormon and finish it by the beginning of school (in early August). If all three of us finish on time, then we'll get a Wii...but only if all three of us finish. If only one or two of us finish, then...no Wii, but we'll come up with a "conciliation" prize. M is super excited, and I think this will be a good way to motivate each other. : )
When I shared with a good friend the story of our family challenge, I mentioned to her that I thought it sad that it would take something like a Wii to motivate us to do something we should be doing anyway! Her response put things in a totally different light for me--
"Wii... What ever works!!! Doesn't Heavenly Father promise us blessings if we do what is right? Don't forget that He works on a reward system too, so don't worry about it because He is probably thinking, 'If that's all I had to do to get my children to read the scriptures...'"
Thanks J for reminding me that it's okay to work on a reward system. Sometimes we're rewarded with material blessings (like a Wii) and sometimes the blessings are not material but of longer lasting importance (like good health and wonderful people in our life.)
Come across any great perspectives lately? Care to share?


5 comments:
Hmm. Can't think of any right now. But I really liked your story.
I think I'll try a rewards system for Garrit. I never thought of rewarding him if he reads his scriptures! But I bet it would work. (He wants a Wii too!)
So awesome. We are a huge reward system family. I have found that even if it is only a handful of M&M's, there school work and attitude are both much better. Everyone needs a reward sometimes! I am glad that you are feeling better. Stephen wants a Wii too.. I was able to get him to wait; but I am afraid when he gets home late this year, I will be outvoted!
That was awesome! I'm thinking about a Wii, too. Too bad Wendell one a PS2 at a work party a year ago...
Rewards are great! Everything in life is "cause and effect" from why we survive, to why we do things we like to do, to why we do things we have to do, and why we no longer do things we used to do!
Anyway, I hear ya on the whole perspective, it seems that in life I have to have a refresher course on that lesson here and there. From trying to keep up my moral, to being the mom I want to be, the wife I want to be, the student I want to be, to fulfiling my callings I get all bent up sometimes. Then I have to stop and remind myself what is really important and look at what I'm accomplishing and say 'OK, that is good, don't get so worked up Bonster!'
I started looking at what I am getting done, not just at everything that I havent done and that has helped me out quite a bit.
How come no one mentioned the AWESOME photo? My first thought was, "Is it a fingerprint?" Then I figured it out... and yes, before I scrolled down to see the Zebra. ; )
Post a Comment