Sunday, May 11, 2008

Snapshot Showcase

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother and Child

Last Spring I got to be a chaperone during a zoo field trip with M's kindergarten class. After the kids fed the giraffe's and squealed with delight as they were slim-ed by the gigantic purple tongues, we stood back and admired these truly beautiful and magnificent creatures for a bit. This mother with her calf stuck out to me in particular: amidst all the clamor of the visitors to the zoo along with the noise from the nearby highway, she was able to find a peaceful place and a quiet moment in her day to just "be"--be a mom with her child and be away from it all. I look at this picture and am reminded that "being" rather than just "doing" is something I need to work on: being a better mom by being more available to my children, being better at being in the world, but not of it.

No comments: