Saturday, October 18, 2008

Room for growth


In the future when M looks back over this year's fall break I think what he will remember the most about it is, the tooth extraction he had on Thursday. In an effort to help un-crowd M's lower adult teeth that are starting to come in and hopefully avoid putting M in braces for one more year, the orthodontist requested that our dentist pull M's two lower baby canine teeth.


Before

Waiting for the dentist

First one out

All done!

M was a little nervous but he did great! The first tooth pulled came out really easily as it was already loose and turned out to be a small-ish baby tooth. The second tooth was more stubborn and put up quite a fight to stay put! While the dentist was tugging away, M kept saying (as best he could with the dentists' fingers and instrument in his mouth) that he could feel it. The dentist and his assistant kept telling M what he was feeling was probably just pressure and not actually pain. Once the tooth finally came out and we all saw just how LONG it was, we realized that perhaps M was actually feeling more than just pressure! What a little trooper! The dentist told M that he was very brave and did better than a lot of the adults he treats--way to go M! Now we just have to wait a year to see what the orthodontist thinks should be the next step--wish M luck!

Notice the difference in size?

Our dentist is a young father with three kids of his own, so he knew just how to help M through the procedure. Thanks Dr. A for doing such a good job with M! Coincidentally, our dentist is in our stake and someone I knew back when we were both students at BYU. His wife and I were neighbors, and they were engaged at the same time J-rod and I were. It is a small world after all!

5 comments:

Lexi said...

What a coincidence. G was supposed to have 4 teeth pulled on Tuesday. With his surgery though we had to post pone it to next month. I will tell him about M and how brave he was so he knows that he isn't alone.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Mine were the same size as the large one. Race you to braces!

My World said...

Way to go M...and Mom!!! I can hardly wait to see what our children wind up needing. I have the smallest mouth ever...and my husband has the hugest mouth (still has all his teeth...including wisdom teeth). Enjoy the ride of braces...

The Merrell Family said...

Poor guy. Good for him for being so strong.

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! I cannot believe that second tooth. Poor M... You are such a trooper. And the next time you are feeling something don't let anyone convince you that you aren't! Stay strong little buddy.