Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Saturday Splurge

On Saturday, for the first time in a while, J-rod was able to take a little break from his rigorous work and study schedule so we splurged and played most of the day with the kids. First we took all of our old electronics to the local stadium where Sony was collecting them for recycling, then we ate lunch at a favorite Mexican grill. After lunch we took the kids to a local farm where we picked pumpkins. We told M and Li'l J they could pick any pumpkin they wanted, the only catch was they had to be able to carry it themselves! Both boys held pretty well to the rule and still came home with pretty good sized pumpkins. Guess who came home with the biggest pumpkin of them all? Baby A--she made her daddy carry it--hee, hee!




After picking pumpkins, the kids and I dropped J-rod off at our local Borders bookstore so he could study...like I said earlier, it was a "little break." While J-rod studied, the boys and I took Baby A to see her first movie:

Baby A did really well through the movie--she ate and slept. The boys and I laughed throughout it and overall had a good time together. I'm sure this will be one that we'll add to the family collection when it comes out on DVD.

When we walked out of the theater, we noticed a family in front of the theater was selling "Mini-toy Chihuahua" puppies, perhaps hoping a fan of the movie would want to make an impulse buy? Apparently they hadn't seen the movie, or perhaps chose to ignore Disney's plea at the end of the film (and on their website for the film):

"Owning a pet is a major responsibility. Dogs require daily care and constant attention. Before bringing a dog into your family, research the specific breed to make sure it is suitable for your particular situation. Learn about and be willing to undertake the serious responsibilities of dog care. Always consider adoption from a reputable shelter or rescue program."

Fortunately even though my kids were more than happy to see the puppies and even stop to hold them for a minute, they understand we won't be getting a dog anytime soon (and most certainly not from a random person in front of a theater), so they didn't even ask if we could buy one.

Anyway...Li'l J got so excited when he saw the puppies that he ran and picked one up before I could stop him; he nearly squeezed the poor little guy! Once I finally got Li'l J to let go, I realized that the puppy fit in the palm of my hand--it was THAT teeny-tiny! When I see a living thing that small, I always marvel at Heavenly Father's creative genius--how little those puppies organs, veins, etc. must be--amazing! When we picked up J-rod and told him about the puppies, I said I was sure that if we had come home with one it would most definitely have managed to get lost in one of J-rod's shoes!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

What a fun day... I love your family picture on the top of your blog!

Anonymous said...

I never would have even thought to go see that movie... So, I'm guessing it's worth a rental and that the kids will love it??? I'm so glad to see pictures of the kids!

Anonymous said...

We saw that movie too! It was really funny. The best part, though, was when Great Gma S put her hands over her eyes during the scary parts!

Amy from Our Dish said...

Your new family pic at the top is just SUPERB!!! Hope you show us the pumpkins when they get all carved and decorated!

Christian and Karina said...

Zoila! How are you! What a cute family! I am so happy to be in touch with you again! My blog is ckhansen.blogspot.com :)