Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lots of Summer Fun!

We've had one full and busy summer. There are still so many stories that we haven't shared and still more being written with each day that goes by, that I just can't seem to update this blog fast enough! For now I think I'd better give a quick run-down here before I forget all that we've done recently. Perhaps tomorrow I will do a post for each of our kids and the summer fun they each had. : )

Besides traveling, we crammed this summer with a long list of many other fun and rewarding adventures: Cub Scouts, swim lessons, lots of book reading, movie watching, wii playing, fort building, catching lots of lizards, board game playing, as well as many a play date and sleepovers with friends. Also as expected, we spent much of our time this hot, hot, summer cooling off in our pool. Though as I write this we are experiencing one rare, but much needed and wonderful summer rain storm complete with thunder and lightning!

J-rod and I have even been lucky enough to get out on some fun date nights. J-rod had a random Tuesday off from work recently so we took advantage and went to the temple together for the first time in a long, long time--it was so nice! After our session that day we went out to lunch at our local edition of Utah's Cafe Rio--OH YUM!! We haven't been there, well, since we moved away from Utah and the location here lived up to the yummy goodness I remembered and missed since our college days! : )

Then at the end of July, J-rod and I went on a double date with some dear friends to see the national touring company production of Wicked. Ahh, it was SO good...even the second time around!! It was good to see that the touring company didn't disappoint. If you haven't yet, and you get the chance, go see it!

Last week J-rod and I finally got to go see the new Harry Potter movie. Though we took the kids with us to the theater, we checked the boys into the play center (kind of like the one at IKEA) so J-rod and I could see it and basically screen it before deciding if we want to let them see it. Baby A came with us and was happy to take a nice long nap during the movie. J-rod and I both enjoyed our little date, and the movie, but decided that this is one the boys can see when they are older, much older. Even though M finished reading the series this summer, we know that the portrayal of the story on the screen will be too scary for him right now and Li'l J, well, once he has read the series then we'll talk (but we've got a few years before that happens.)

J-rod recently got a new assignment at work, which means he is now working with a new crew. Well, lucky for him (and his hot date...me) this crew informed him that he was welcome to join them for a last minute work dinner last weekend at one of our favorite restaurants--Claim Jumper! It was fun to visit with the guys J-rod works with (perhaps, insightful would be a better word to use here) and to meet their wives. The company was pleasant, the food was fantastic, and we knew our kids were being well taken care of by the beautiful YW who graciously agreed to babysit at the last minute--yay! What a fun night.

I'm grateful for all of the great memories we were able to create this summer! Before we know it, we will be celebrating Baby A's first birthday, the boys will start a new school year at a brand new school, the summer will be over and it will be time for me to report on all of our Fall adventures. For now, I'm off to bed. Sweet dreams!

No comments: