In a continued effort to further update our blog, the following posts will chronicle our adventures throughout the month of December. If you have packed up and moved well beyond Christmas, please feel free to skip this series of posts.
Dinner and an Uplifting Program
To kick off the Christmas Season in the proper spirit, our ward Relief Society hosted a beautiful dinner for all the women in our ward, and I got to help plan and execute it! I received a call about a month before the scheduled event asking if I would temporarily fill-in as 'Activities Chair' for the dinner. In a moment of sheer psychosis wherein I failed to realize that this activity was scheduled to take place two days after our Flag Retirement Pack meeting for Cub Scouts, I said yes! I know, because I wasn't already ultra busy right? Crazy!! Anyway, the board of women I had the opportunity to work with was wonderful and it all turned out fabulously!
Our R.S. president specifically requested a spiritually focused evening filled with good food, good company, good music and a program based on the parable of the 10 Virgins. Fortunately what was presented that night did indeed fill the hall with the Spirit of the Season as we turned our hearts and minds to the Savior. We had good food--yummy soups in freshly homemade bread bowls; good company--the Young Women took charge in the Nursery so all the sisters in R.S. that were able to attend (along with family, friends, and neighbors that were also there) had the opportunity to visit and enjoy the evening. After dinner those present were treated to a beautiful stage presentation of the 10 Virgins parable (based on a scripted program available through Deseret Book.)
Beautiful dinner guests!
In addition to participating 'behind' the scenes, I got to be in the main 'scene' as one of the 10 Virgins. Both J-rod and M were rather vocal in their opinions that I be one of the 'wise' virgins. So...while I did't feel anything like her, I portrayed Jessa--'a woman of grace, personal conversion, and holiness'. I often feel more like Ashira, one of the 'unwise' virgins that says,
"most days it is all I can do to get myself dressed in the morning. As soon as the sun comes up over the mountain, I get right to work. On the one hand, I feel as though I am everything to everyone, On the other hand, I feel I never get anything accomplished. ...Between doing the dishes, scrubbing the floor, reading to the children...a trip to the market, I will find the time."
Had the part not already been assigned to someone else, that is the one I would have chosen because while I ultimately do want to be a like Jessa, Ashira's description fits me to a t!
Parable of the 10 Virgins
Following the program, we concluded the evening with a touching slideshow showcasing the wonderful women in our ward as they were photographed with their families, serving in our ward, and/or serving throughout the community. The cultural hall that night was filled with Chirstmas trees wrapped in lights and tables beautifully and uniquely decorated by individual sisters using their choice of personal china or Christmas dinnerware, linens, and centerpieces. To all who helped make this such a special and beautiful night, THANK YOU! And special thanks to S for being willing to take over with my camera--if it weren't for you S, I wouldn't have ANY of these wonderful pictures from that night!
Beautifully decorated tables and hall decorations





1 comment:
That was probably the best RS Christmas program I have ever been to. The food was great and the spirit was so strong from that program! Thank you all so much for all your hard work, it was greatly appreciated!
Post a Comment