Tuesday, February 10, 2015

February 2013

Two pretty ladies helping with dinner

February was filled with memorable moments for our family.  We kicked off the month with a flurry of activity the very first weekend.  That first weekend J-rod's parents flew in, and my mom, sister A, and my mom's cousin M drove in for Li'l J's baptism. 


Li'l J's pictures for his the invites to this baptism


Such a great day!

Li'l J was baptized with two of his friends from Cub Scouts. When he was baptized, Li'l J was wearing the same white pants all the boys in J-rod's family have been baptized in--so cool! 

After the baptisms while we waited for the boys to change, M played "I Know that My Redeemer Lives" and J-rod's mom gave a great talk.  Afterwards we gathered at a nearby park for a late lunch with friends and family.  It was a wonderful day!


New scriptures AND chicken foot--sweet! 

Taking our best shot

When we returned home from the park, Li'l J opened some presents and then my mom and A gave us the guns and ammo that had belonged to my Dad.  I thought that my Dad owned three rifles he used for hunting, but as it turned out he had five!  The rest of the afternoon was like Christmas Day for J-rod and his Dad as they spent the next couple of hours ooh-ing and aahi-ng over the pieces, cleaning them, and eventually making a trip out to Cabela's for a few related goodies. While the boys kept busy with the guns, the kids and I enjoyed a fun game of chicken-foot with G'ma S.  A couple weeks later for FHE, we took the kids out into the desert and we all took turns shooting with my Dad's guns.


Morning scriptures with G'pa S before church

The day after Li'l J's baptism, M received the Aaronic Priesthood.  It was so neat to have G'pa S be in the circle both the day before for Li'l J's confirmation, and then also in the circle for M.  Sunday after church we all gathered for lunch at our house before all our out of town guests returned home.  We were so grateful they were able to join us to celebrate Li'l J, M, and the good decisions both those boys have made.

The following Sunday M passed the Sacrament for the first time, and the week after that he spoke in Sacrament for the first time.  M spent much of the month enveloped in service opportunities for Scouts and NJHS.  His favorite was when he served as a stage hand for the school talent show.  He's already making plans to be a stage hand for the upcoming school play and for next year's talent show.  What I am enjoying right now is that M is working on earning his cooking Merit Badge--it's been WONDERFUL having an eager helper in the kitchen!  Not only has M been wiling to help pick recipes, but prepare them too. It's been like having my very own sous chef.  I could get used to this!


Li'l J worked hard to earn his Bobcat

Not sure how I won, but I did!

Li'l J worked eagerly to earn his Bobcat Award as well as some belt loops.  He was very happy to attempt to teach me how to play chess.  Usually when I try to play chess, I literally end up in tears with a massive headache because I CANNOT seem to wrap my brain around how to play the dang game!  I am NOT a fan of chess.  So, imagine my surprise when not only did I begin to get the hang of how to play the game under Lil J's tutelage, but I won. I actually WON! No tears, not even the usual headache.  Say whaaaat?  I'm still not sure how it happened, nor am I ready to try it again anytime soon, but I'm grateful I was able to help Li'l J out and that he was happy to give teaching me another try.


While the boys were away:
Sis played ZhuZhu pets and watched Sofia the First.
I snuggled under my Guatemalan quilt 
with a book and yummy chocolate.

At the end of February, Li'l J, M, and J-rod spent a good portion of a Saturday at a Scout-O-Rama event held at the University of Phoenix Stadium. This was the first time that such a large scale Scouting activity was held on our side of the valley, and it was quite an undertaking.  I had helped with some behind the scenes preparations for our pack participation, but then didn't attend the actual event because I really wasn't feeling well and needed a day to relax and recover before the beginning of the new week.  Fortunately it seemed to be a well attended and fun event, and from all reports, it was a success.

The rest of the month was filled with our regular routine: preschool, play-dates, and ballet for C-sta; alternating between day and night shift at work while balancing family life and church responsibilities for J-rod; and trying to keep up with everyone and get caught up on projects for me.

Our regular routine according to cell phone pics:

Beautiful sunrise on the way to the orthodontist

What a difference a restful day can make 
when your aren't feeling well!

Do you see what I see?

Exploring

Beauty after the storm

Valentine's Day 2013:
*Our littlest Valentine in an outfit made by 
Li'l J's darling 1st grade teacher
*Valentine's from Li'l J and C-sta for their classmates
*YUMMY red velvet brownies from my Visiting Teacher

Copper still doesn't like the pool, 
even it's when empty.

BFF's C-sta & O

Being a ballerina can exhaust a girl! 

No comments: