Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley

Thoughts on the passing of our prophet...

Last night as I was getting ready to put M to bed, I received a phone call from my dear sis A in CA. A said she was calling to share with me the news that our dear Prophet and the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, had passed away at the age of 97 years.

After thanking A for calling to share the news, M and I talked a bit about President Hinckley--his life and his death. M has been very aware of who President Hinckley was since he was very little, so I know this will be something M will remember for the rest of his life. I could tell M was thinking deeply about what I had just shared with him based on the questions he was asking and the correlations he was making. M asked how old President Hinckley was and what had caused him to pass away. I told him President Hinckley was 97 years old and that he had passed away partly due to his age, and partly due to the cancer his body had a been battling with for sometime now. Having watched my dad, Gpa. C, fight hard against cancer last year, M had an idea of what ailed President Hinckley. After a moment more of thinking M wanted to know how old his grandparents are, so I shared their ages with him. He was quiet for a bit and then said that he wanted to say his night prayer quietly to himself. I don't know for sure, but I think M might have prayed for comfort--for himself, his family, and the family of President Hinckley.

Once I tucked M into bed and kissed him goodnight, I went online to see what www.lds.org and/or any newspapers might be reporting about President Hinckley's passing. I discovered that I couldn't access the Church website, and that while I could access www.deseretnews.com it was loading very slowly...once loaded, it ultimately crashed on me--apparently the word travelled fast and I wasn't the only one looking for more details.

As I sat and waited to re-access the newspaper article, I thought about how I was feeling. During October's General Conference I remember thinking how sad I would feel when this amazing man, President Hinckley, passed away. Now that I had received the news, I was a bit surprised that this wasn't how I felt at all--I was actually rather at peace. Considering his age and the wonderful life he had lived, thinking that President Hinckley was now resting and being reunited with his dear sweet wife, Marjorie whom I know he had missed terribly since her passing, brought a tender feeling of joy to my heart.

President Hinckley was a wonderful leader and example, and I'm grateful for the positive influence he has had on my life and the life of my family. I know he was a man called of God to lead and guide us as his prophet here on earth.

If you'd like to learn more about President Hinckley and his life's work, you can go to: www.deseretnews.com or www.lds.org.

2 comments:

EstesSBTAK said...

Thank you for sharing such wonderful thoughts of our prophet. I was initially brought to tears.. but then happiness overcame me as I could see the angels singing as they welcomed him. And I could just picture his sweet wife embracing him. He is the best example of Enduring to the End! He will really be missed. I can hear Heavenly Father say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant!" It makes me want to serve to my fullest capacity! Hope your day is grand!

Jenna Harris said...

Like you, I didn't feel tremendous sorrow. There was a joy knowing that Pres. Hinckley was with his sweet wife who he loved so dearly.

But since then, it sometimes just hits me in waves--the sadness that I'll never see his face or hear his voice at a General Conference meeting again in my life. It is a little weird to love someone so much who I didn't even know in person.

BTW, how is your dad? He was so sick I've almost been afraid to ask.

Thanks for commenting on my forgiveness post. I remember now how there were many difficult things with you and your mother as well. I really think forgiveness is a process.