The beginning of March meant it was time again for another pack meeting, a very special pack meeting: the annual Blue and Gold Banquet. Due to sharing a building with three other wards and all the scheduling that that entails, our pack meetings are always at the beginning of the month instead of the end and so it tends to look like we are a month behind all other packs when it comes to the monthly themes (though we really aren't.)
Having been released from my responsibilities with our Cub Scouts recently, the Blue and Gold Banquet was my last big hoorah as Pack Committee Chair and we made sure I went out with a bang! In honor of BSA's 100 year anniversary, we had a big birthday party to celebrate. Lots and lots of colorful balloons, streamers, table cloths, and a few 'noise makers' adorned our cultural hall and we filled our bellies with yummy pizza, popcorn, nachos, and of course, LOTS of birthday cakes.
We have a tradition in our Pack (as I think many others do) to have each cub scout and family, design, bake, and bring a cake of their choice to share for dessert at the Blue and Gold Banquet. Since last year M made a baseball cake, this year he chose to make a chocolate Rice Krispy 'football' cake. Easy to make, decorate, transport and it was oh-so-yummy (that's my kind of cake!) It's always fun to see how creative our cub scouts can be --both with the decorating and with their choice of flavors!
M's Rice Krispy football cake
Many awards were presented, including one to the new bishop of our ward--a nice quilted wall hanging made out of blocks each cub scout and leader signed with a BSA birthday message. When our Cub Master got all us pack leaders involved in the making of this quilt, we didn't then know that J-rod would be the new bishop so it turned out rather ironic that I was the one that donated all of the fabric for it! The pack mom that pieced and quilted the wall hanging did an amazing job!
At the end of the evening, our Cub Master surprised me with a nice little farewell ceremony where she had each of the cub scouts line up in two lines facing each other, take off their neckerchiefs and make a little canopy for me to walk through. Afterwards I got to help with a special closing flag ceremony, The Thirteen Folds; this was a really neat way to close out my service to our Pack. I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to serve our Pack, for the Cubs I got to know and love, and for the wonderful parents and leaders with whom I got work. I am also very grateful for the Cub Scouting program and that we have such a good program which our boys can attend!



2 comments:
Wow, those are quite the cakes! (I'd like to see a picture of the chocolate rice krispie football, though.)
Mom, I went ahead and added a close up of M's cake to the body of the post so you can get a better view of it. It was a pretty tasty cake...we made it with Cocoa Krispies.
Post a Comment