Monday, May 23, 2011

8*10 Part 5: BYU-Provo, UT

Hint: all words underlined in this post have links with additional info.

Friday we took the kids down to Provo, drove around town a bit pointing out to the kids places of personal importance to J-rod and I, then headed up to BYU where we...

...had a lot of FUN bowling!!

I LOVE C-sta's "I did it" pose!

After bowling at the BYU Game Center, we shopped at the bookstore (where I ran into my boss from when I had worked at the Testing Center) and then walked around campus and...

1. ...enjoyed the beautiful flowers that were everywhere!

2. Li'l J poses with flowers near the buildings 
J-rod called home for so many years.

3-4. C-sta and M happily poses with flowers 
in front of the building where their Grandpa Mijo 
worked when he was a student at BYU, 

5. Li'l J poses with the statue of the Massasoit Indian.  
I have a picture of me posing with the same statue as a freshman...
I should find it and scan it. 

6. I've always enjoyed the view of the Y on the mountainside.
Ever wonder how the Y ended up on the mountain?
Click on the link above on the "Y" to find out!

7. What visit to the BYU-Provo Campus is complete 
without stopping to take a picture with Brigham Young himself?

8.  With all the walking we were doing in the heat, 
a little break was definitely in order!

After touring the campus, we took in an open practice session for the football team.  When we entered the field, NO ONE bothered to tell us that taking pictures was NOT allowed at this practice session.  How they missed the BIG camera around my neck when I walked in, I'll never know.  Anyhow, the pictures below were the ones we managed to take before a grumpy sideline official told us to put the camera away.  At least he didn't ask us to delete what we had taken!  Maybe I shouldn't post these "unauthorized" photos but seeing as the season is long since over, I'll take my chances.


After the practice session we walked down the street to show M the apartment where we lived when he was born, right across the street from the tennis courts and soccer fields.

M's first home.

Continuing on down the block we then headed over to the ever-favorite and original Brick Oven restaurant where we enjoyed a very tasty dinner.  Once our tummies were full, we headed back up to campus where we spent some time at the Maeser Building, and then finished out the night by remembering my dad as we showed the kids his name on the plaque beneath the Karl G. Maeser Statue.  It was a GOOD day!

One of two beautiful marble staircases in the Maeser Building.
If you look closely, you can see a pair of little 
pink sandals as C-sta climbs the stairs.

Maeser Lecture Hall, where J-rod and I took a couple of classes.

Remembering our Papa.

As we left BYU and took one last drive along Campus Drive we saw a beautiful deer grazing right on campus, something neither J-rod nor I ever saw while we were students there.  Since that weekend was graduation, the Y on the mountain was lit--a fun site to see again as we drove away from campus.

I took this as we were driving by, so it's a bit blurry.

It was so fun to have spent the day at BYU and reminisce about the many wonderful memories from the years J-rod and I spent there.  While we realize our children may not attend BYU, we do want them to know the important role BYU plays in our family history and that attending college after high school is something we expect of them whether they attend BYU our another university (unless they happen to choose a certain university just 60 miles north of BYU, as it would take quite a bit for me to get used to that idea!  Hee, hee, hee.) : )

1 comment:

The Fallon Schank's said...

These pictures are way too cute! (Thanks for sharing!) We love you!